Sr. Wind Technician
- General Electric
- Full Time
- Location: Loraine, Texas (remote)
About the company
General Electric is currently seeking a new Sr. Wind Technician. The Sr. Wind Technician is a critical and active role to maintain optimal function and output at the wind site by working daily on turbine operations, required maintenance, safety, quality control and warranty repair(s). The Sr. Wind Technician should exhibit a proficiency with all elements of the wind turbine function, and partners and communicates with all stake holders to execute on contract requirements and timelines to ensure alignment with GE excellence!
General Electric’s Onshore Wind business has a total installed base of more than 50,000 wind turbines in more than 35 counties, with 100+ GW of global installed capacity. We harness increased onshore wind energy potential through a broad family of turbines that are uniquely suited for a variety of wind environments, including Cypress, GE’s most powerful onshore wind turbine, and GE’s 2MW platform, which has more than 20GW installed and in operation today. We are committed to our customers’ success in wind, offering a broad portfolio of products and services that make renewables the energy of choice for a cleaner future.
- Fluently perform complex troubleshooting for mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical problems on multiple platforms;
- Apply extensive understanding of variable pitch & speed turbines and converter parts;
- Read, understand and explain schematics, drawings, technical manuals, procedures, and regulations.
- Work with site leadership to execute contractual obligations per customer requirements and activities set forth with on a daily basis, which include any portion of the electrical and mechanical equipment used in the GE wind turbine generator;
- Demonstrate proficiency to identify issues or errors and repair or replacement of parts to correct malfunctions;
- Help in all areas of site operations as directed by manager, and mentor peers;
- Adhere to all Environmental Health and Safety processes and regulations and all applicable compliance requirements;
- Effectively perform diagnostic analysis and generate plan for timely resolution and
- Document all work performed using computer based service reporting procedures.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 4 years of wind trouble-shooting experience
- Minimum of 1 year EHS or SQC role (safety or quality titled role)
- Ability to pass Technical Knowledge Assessment
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license;
- Handle repetitive weight - 50 lbs, and climb towers up to 300 feet daily;
- Meet specified manufacturer weight limits not to exceed 300lbs including required gear;
- Ability and willingness to work in range of environments to include but not limited to industrial facilities, manufacturing facilities, and power industry facilities;
- Effectively prioritize work according to contract obligations;
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, and work without direct supervision and
- Flexibility to work rotating shift schedules, and on-call per site needs.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical, Electrical, or Electronics field from an accredited college or university;
- Technical Certification(s) in Wind Energy or Electrical / Electronic field;
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel at all levels inside and outside of the Wind Farm;
- Wind turbine experience with advanced troubleshooting and repair;
- Electrical, mechanical, and/or hydraulic experience;
- Experience using hydraulic power tools;
- Experience with heavy equipment required for facility maintenance with a working knowledge of crane and rigging requirements;
- Borescope certification;
- Willingness to assist at other sites / travel.